1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SCOTUS] Fisher v. University of Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hustle Town, Feb 28, 2013.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

don't confuse a troll with somebody who has a different opinion than you and you can't defeat in a reasoned argument.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

In real life you have to pay your dominatrix.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

stupid b****, work a bit harder to get in if you really want to, whining isn't going to get you anywhere in life.

4. bigtexxx

actually this message needs to be shared with affirmative action supporters, no?

5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

When you've been ****ed over for centuries and your current status is a large part of that then there will be an argument. It was only 50 yrs ago that AA weren't treated like human beings in many parts of the country.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This.

7. bigtexxx

so we need to make laws based on what happened 50 years ago?

weak logic

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

are you debating on whether this has had an impact? And 50 yrs isn't that long ago, making it even more shameful.

9. bigtexxx

you dodged my question

telling

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

you're dodging mine.

11. Steve_Francis_rules

Are there actually facts to back this up?

I don't recall diversity really helping or hurting my education when I was in college. Of course, I majored in physics, so diversity of opinion and experience could be far less important than in the humanities.

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they're not asking for diversity of opinion. it's just skin color; nothing more.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you feel isolation from different cultures doesn't hurt one's education and growth, that's fine. But most universities believe differently.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I believe at some point you have to let the past go and move forward. Until that's done, it's like you have an anchor holding your full potential back. Fight discrimination or unfairness where it happens and as it happens but let the past go.

15. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

That's where you're wrong because AA (overall) has benefited white women more than any other group in my experience. I'll look for a source to back that up.

Real easy coming from the dominant group.

I'm a critic of the black communities excuse making, oversensitiveness and whining but he's right. Blacks with rare exception--no matter how intelligent they were, how qualified or how hard they worked--had pretty much zero chance for social and economic mobility as recently as a few generations ago and especially in the South. Again, even I get annoyed at the tendency for blacks to blame whites for all of their problems when we aren't taking care of business in many ways but let's not act like whites don't have an inherent advantage and that it wasn't very much due to the way they held down blacks and other minorities for decades/centuries. Even a poor/working class white has a much easier chance of marrying into money than a minority does today.

And as I just said above, AA has benefited white women tremendously. We have slowly curbed back the stranglehold on power that Anglo-Saxon and other Germanic men had on this country for so long as they now share some of the power and opportunities.

16. bigtexxx

Well if that's the case, then we REALLY should end it, right?

You talk like whites and blacks are each some kind of monolith. My experience with AA is that wealthy blacks and hispanics are the ones who benefit the most -- the ones that economically were already doing fine.

...and again, referencing things that happened generations ago simply isn't very compelling. You do know we have a half-black president...the times have changed.

17. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

So because we have a partially black presudent, centuries of Apartheid and discrimination are wiped clean?

Yes, what happened centuries and even decades ago does matter and does in part explain the plight of the black community. It's definately time to move on and shouldn't be a crutch because enormous opportunities exist that didn't before but it will take time for blacks to get on an equal playing field, even we had given it our all since desegration.

18. DwightHoward13

As good as gender equality is, it is slowly becoming a problem, as guys are falling behind in math and science due to the emphasis on female success in school. I believe that there should be more programs encouraging guys to go to college and pursue science, technology, engineering, and math.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Uh, we have laws based on what happened 250 years ago. What's the difference?

20. bigtexxx

the difference is that things have changed with respect to blacks in the past 50 years...