1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SCOTUS] Fisher v. University of Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hustle Town, Feb 28, 2013.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

There are plenty of anecdotes going around but I've yet to see any concrete details. Also even if this were true, a ban on AA wouldn't fix this. Admissions are done in a holistic process which means in addition to GPA and scores, they also look at your resume. There's enough wiggle room to where if a university wanted to continue this supposed double standard, they would.

Additionally, AA as done by UT does not work like that. Hispanics, African Americans and Native Americans are given a slight benefit in the holistic review. UT does not give Asian Americans a slight negative score in their process. So for purposes of evaluation based on race, they are scored like white students.

I understand your complaints. I went through the same process as well. But what you are describing has nothing to do with UT's Affirmative Action program and banning AA won't solve anything until we mandate some sort of formula based admissions system done by a computer.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I am not just talking about UT admissions, but the current general practice of AA. If they want to stop the practice, it is simple, remove the race and name for anyone that is not AA or Latino Americans when reviewing for admission, let's see how that works, University of California system gives a pretty good indication of how that works when race is completely taken out of admission process. I am willing to give AA and Latinos a boost for their race, just treat Asians exactly like how Whites would be treated.

Today's Asians are not just good at taking tests, most of families we know part take in music, art, and sports activities on top of academic studies.

#102 pirc1, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Studies have shown that the elimination of affirmative action would result in about the same number of whites, more Asians, and fewer blacks and Latinos. So the idea that affirmative action benefits whites to the detriment of Asians is simply not correct. Affirmative action benefits blacks and Latinos to the detriment of Asians.

Chief Justice Roberts hit the nail on the head. The way to stop discriminating on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: Biggest beneficiaries from Affirmative Action?
    ANSWER: White Women

Rocket River

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not from a college standpoint. Women earn more degrees than men.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So you and Chief Roberts agree that we shouldn't have public high schools largely segregated and quality-correlated by race, right? It's tremendously unfair when one considers what the nation offers the average kid of color compared to what the nation offers the average white kid, in terms of public high school education.

Interesting that you want to go back to forced desegregation, but it actually is the one thing that worked, uncomfortable though it may have been for some.

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I'm pretty sure we don't. Most public high schools have the student body from the surrounding area (charter and magnet schools would be the exceptions, but they also do not have a racial entrance criteria).
    I don't know how you are going to get to forced desegregation without discriminating on the basis of race. Forced desegregation in the 60's was explicitly racially discriminatory. I don't think the race of the potential student should be considered at all, at any level of education. Primary education generally makes the most sense to be geographically determined, while secondary education makes the most sense to be merit based.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Do you have links to some of the studies? I am interested in seeing them. I have only see data that shows Asian typically require the highest GPA and test scores to get into highly selective universities.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

At every level.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's a great idea. Why don't you fix the lower levels of education so minority students can stop being discriminated against on the basis of race. Of course, these students can also try to live more virtuous lives. I'm sure there's a box for that on the college applications nowadays.

All of this basically amounts to a white girl upset about the fact she could not compete with her peers and filing a lawsuit on the matter.

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

You are correct.

Asiana face the most difficult battle with AA.

12. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Overall, she was superior to her peers. In a smaller sample size, she wasn't.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Her direct peers are her classmates. The kids who generally have the same advantages, the same environment, the same neighborhood, the same teachers, the same curriculum, the same socioeconomic levels, etc. She couldn't hack it so she filed a lawsuit.

14. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

That'd make sense if the application pool was just her classmates, and she was rejected. But she lost out on the larger pool, her national grade level.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No she wasn't. UT released the app specifics for every student who applied that year and her scores weren't good enough, even if she got a bump for race. Why are you ignoring facts?

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Asian-Americans specifically.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

She got an 1180 on her SAT and she wants to b**** about not getting in? I think I got an 1180 in 8th grade.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Thats the head scratcher right there...and the fact that AA helps white women out the most.

I'll just come out and say it, this b**** needs to stfu now. "My whole family went here so I should too :(" is basically her entitled ass talking.

19. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Oh, I thought her grades were good enough too.

20. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Yes, but do they LOVE and ENJOY doing it? It makes a world of difference in the richness of the experience to yourselves and your peers. Too many do it to pad the resume, and that's just pathetic.