1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SCOTUS] Fisher v. University of Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hustle Town, Feb 28, 2013.

1. DreamRoxCoogFan

I can't tell you how many "minority" white people (mixed) I've met in school who got preferential treatment because of the race they claimed. It's not fully benefiting those who it was intended for. I accept that inequalities exist, but those issues aren't adequately addressed by giving some people a leg up on the competition.

Full disclosure- as a member of a minority group that gets ZERO benefits for being a minority, it's gotten harder for me to accept this. Affirmative action isn't about inequalities from 200 years ago anymore. If it was, it wouldn't apply to a group of people who weren't subject to the cruelties of early American history.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I assume you're Asian? What inequality are we talking about?

[​IMG]

3. DreamRoxCoogFan

I guess that's my question too? Some people point out that affirmative action is in place to help hundreds of years of systematic oppression. If that's the case, then why do Hispanic students benefit from affirmative action? I don't care what minority you are, but the fact remains that a minority has a harder time advancing in whatever field they are in when compared to their Caucasian counterparts. It's harder to get that job, and it's harder to get a promotion as well. Prime example- you ever been to a research facility around town? How many employees are minorities? And how many PIs, professors and directors are not? Most research labs are still headed by Caucasians and staffed with minorities.

If it's economic, then I can tell you from personal experience that my family was not wealthy and yet I didn't get any additional benefits with respect to admissions. If we're making decisions about entire races based on certain criteria, then how is that fair?

If it's about diversity, then you can look at UT's demographics and tell that they haven't achieved that either in their time with the top 10% program. It's ridiculous how small the African American student population is on campus.

I'm just saying the program doesn't work, so you might as well just make it about academic achievement.

4. CometsWin

The data shows that it definitely hasn't worked. You can't cherry pick a minority here and a minority there and expect that to fix systemic inequality within our society. The problem as usual is that nobody in power is really interested in true fixes so we'll proceed with lip service and band aids.

I used to work for a biotech company and in my experience you're right about the staffing.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Soon UT will be just like Rice where 75% of the student population speaks broken English.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

so your mission is to have all races earn the same amount of money? That has never been the focus of Affirmative Action

7. bigtexxx

I can't believe the cherry-picked minorities (blacks, hispanics) aren't insulted by the actual existence of affirmative action. It basically says, you're not good enough to get into colleges on your own, so we'll provide you some extra help. That's insulting. I guess you will always have a bunch of people who will fight for their free schit...

8. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I remember kids at my high school getting scholarships/grants/acceptances to places like MIT and Princeton because they were 10% Hispanic. They are using racial identity to overcome the laziness they had in high school.

9. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

...it's not like URM makes you a God. You still have to get a very decent score and stats to get in. They might be outside even the borderline for those schools, but the borderline for those schools are f**king ridiculous. I don't think anyone (save a legacy or two) can be faulted for being lazy for getting into MIT or Princeton.

10. DreamRoxCoogFan

Yes but the difference between a URM and a regular applicant is substantial. Same story for graduate school. Obviously the people that benefit from the program aren't bums, they have their own qualifications. But the standard for admission is much lower. Also, getting the opportunity to go to these places doesn't translate into good grades and academic excellence down the line. A lot of these kids struggle later on.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

said a poster, who in his very statement, showed he had absolutely no idea what affirmative action related to colleges really is.

12. CometsWin

Imagine how those white suburban kids feel that they cant get into UT on their own so mom and dad have to sue the school because they weren't good enough. They have to fight for their free schit! Talk about insulting!

#32 CometsWin, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  13. bigtexxx

Yeah you can try the "absurdity angle", but it's not compelling. It just shows that you cannot argue based on fact and reason.

14. bigtexxx

Asians get completely F'd by affirmative action. I guess Asians have never been discriminated against in the US, so they don't need it?

15. CometsWin

It's the same premise you're using in your race bait. If its good for you then it's good for everyone. Those suburban kids need to work harder rather than whining. They should feel insulted that they can't hack it among their peers and have to whine in the courts.

16. bigtexxx

You've given up. You know that AA is a racist policy that provides benefits purely based on skin color. Actually only those cherry picked skin colors.

17. CometsWin

It's not any more racist than minority school districts receiving less funding than white districts and expecting them to perform similarly. Sounds like you have an inability to argue with facts and reason due to your well chronicled bias towards the blacks.

18. bigtexxx

lol you had to change the topic. 'nuff said

19. CometsWin

Perhaps you're uneducated on why 10% exists. I didn't know you were quite that ignorant. I'll save my time for someone a bit more informed. I leave you to continue your race bait. Good luck with that.

20. bigtexxx

looks like a surrender to me

tell me this-- do you feel AA discriminates against Asians?