1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade two top 4 picks for Coby White?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 23, 2024.

?

Would you do it?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. We Can Do Better

91 vote(s)
    91.9%
  1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#2 and #4 definitely gets you Markannen. Because of team needs, I think FVV + #2 + #4 will get you Trae Young. That’s not a straight up swap, but those picks get it done faster than three or four future firsts. Atlanta would get to continue trying to compete while adding two top picks instantly to ease into the rotation. If they take Clingan with a pick, then they can trade Capela for a 1st. They can evaluate FVV for a year before deciding to pick up the option. Any team that offers the future firsts is also going to be scrambling to match salary and sending a bunch of spare parts back. This deal is nice and clean for the Hawks that allows them to continue competing while also giving them salary flexibility. You know what wouldn’t get this trade done: FVV and Coby White.

When you go back and look at some of the trades that bring back future picks, you’ll see they often don’t net very good players, if the picks end up conveying at all. I'm not even a proponent of this trade. I’d rather have the picks (and FVV) than Trae Young, so I’d certainly rather have them than Coby White. Having the #2 and #4 picks mean we could end up with just about any two-man combination out of the following:
    Sarr
    Risacher
    Topić
    Clingan
    Dillingham
    Sheppard
    Buzelis
    Cody Williams
    Knech
    Filipowski

I don’t think Coby White has the ceiling to pass on taking some combination of two players off that list.

Mathloom, peleincubus and kspires999 like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

i gotchu breh. we need to trade green for kobe white member.

Mathloom likes this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

The guys who are possibly available are too old to be worth it

I would love to send out those picks plus Jalen or Cam to OKC and get J-Dub back
    Or same deal but to sign-and-trade for Maxey

Ain't happening though

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What hing green and JDub okay against each other I just thought Green looked like a dude with a superstar ceiling vs a dude with a star ceiling. And on top of that Green looked like the better defender also.

Crazy thing is JDub is older than Green. For some reason I thought he was younger.

Mathloom likes this.
  5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I'd rather have caruso from the bulls

Jontro and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. fchowd0311

Trying to get any other player on this roster who is most effective with the ball I'm their hands is a dumb move when you have Alpi, Green, FVV, Amen.

Stone's off-season goal is to find guys like you mentioned in Caruso.

Not guys like Coby White.

Of course I understand there are people who don't like Jalen and want him gone so in their head they are still hunting for ball dominant guys. But they will probably be very disappointed because the front office is not on the same page as those posters.

Mathloom is trolling with this trade proposal lol.

Mathloom and BigMaloe like this.
  7. theDude

Supporting Member

Are you saying you would give up the #2 and #4 overall picks for him?:eek:

Jontro and Mathloom like this.
  8. fchowd0311

Id trade one of those picks for a great rim protecting big who's willing to play 20-25 minutes a game from the bench.

Id trade another one of those picks for an elite defending guard who can hit open threes like Caruso.

So both those picks for a really good rim protecting big + a Caruso type player would be fair value to me.

Mathloom and theDude like this.
  9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Doesn’t change much on your thinking but I wouldn’t count FVV in the calculus for whether or not we should draft anyone ball-heavy. We can/will lose him within next two years. I still agree with Amen, Green and Alp we don’t need anyone ball-dominant. But I still say take the best talent available, whomever that is — I don’t watch enough college to know who is actually good.

Mathloom, BigMaloe and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

If two top four picks gets you a back up big and a Caruso type player then this would have to be the worst draft of all time. I mean are we talking a Mitchell Robinson level rim protector and Caruso? That would really help the team but if that's all you get what does really say about this draft?

Mathloom likes this.
  11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Good idea, wrong player. White is solid, but no all-star or even very close. I just don't think he has the kind of upside to justify that price. I like having draft picks and I don't think the team's window is that short where they need to overpay to win now. I would also hope that teams would value two top 4 picks more highly than that, although I have no basis to judge trade value whatsoever.

Mathloom and theDude like this.
  12. fchowd0311

It's more about me being done acquiring dudes 22 or under. Like I thought we were done with that phase?

I was thinking maybe Walker Kessler. He fits the time line and seems to be fine playing 20-25 minutes for someone who is that good at rim protection.

If the Pelicans drop out of the first round maybe see if Herb Jones is available?

#52 fchowd0311, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    BaselineFade likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Love be the sarcasm of this thread

Mathloom and fchowd0311 like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

I just love the sheer entertainment value of @Mathloom arguing against himself for a page and a half to prove a point. :D

Mathloom, ROXTXIA, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You guys haven’t been paying attention. Math is trolling all the idiots that think Coby is worth two top 4 picks.
    I’d consider markannen (sic) as the fit would be excellent with Jabari moving to sf and accelerating the move of amen to pg. stone has done a masterful job of this rebuild. I really think we might end up with Booker. Phoenix is in about as bad of a situation as the nets.

#55 Hemingway, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Mathloom likes this.
  16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

nope, nor #9 straight up but i would be willing to let it go for him + asset. knowing how bad stone is with trades and negotiations, i wouldnt be upset if #9 for caruso happened.

But i think caruso fits very well here to reduce FVV minutes and help run the backup point while amen learns it and jalen continues to learn secondary playmaking. Also slides to the 2 well and doesnt need the ball to be effective. He is a tough defensive minded player that fits the udoka mold and identity.

theDude likes this.
  17. MystikArkitect

Alright so the best player we've come up with is Lauri Markannen which I'm super curious to see if Jazz fans would even entertain that trade. I don't think they would but it's a curious question. Some others that I've seen are:

Alex Caruso, Coby White of course, Mikal Bridges, Brandon Ingram, Collin Sexton, and Tyler Herro. Yeah...this draft is bad. Ingram is a new one and interesting though Pels fans probably say no.

And the folks here I think are of the overarching opinion that you just draft two players to a team stock full of young players and hope that they pan out somehow instead of just getting someone that can help the team getting into a playoff window.

18. theDude

Supporting Member

Good players will force themselves into playing time. We currently have guys on our roster like Holiday, Tate, Jeff Green, Landale, etc. that can easily be pushed to the bench if someone shows they deserve playing time. Acting like guys can’t force their way onto a team is crazy. And we have seen that Ime is not afraid to allow that to happen. Consolidation is always part of the equation. It could easily turn out that Tari is injury prone, or Sengun never fully recovers from his injury. The team needs to constantly restock the cupboard. With two top 4 draft picks, I’d rather take a larger swing than Coby White. If that’s all that the two picks can bring in return, I’d rather try my chances with the draft, no matter how poor they say it is.

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

[​IMG]

topfive likes this.
  20. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I get it and i wouldn't do it for White either just saying that lottery picks won't get you much this year. Everyone, even the top picks, project to be role players so you're feasibly only getting role players back in a trade. Remember that mid 1st run last year that had Keyonte George, Hood-Scofino, Jaquez, Podz and Whitmore going in a row? That's what the top of the draft looks like now. Solid players with some weaknesses. Those guys could've all been top 3 this year. If you were the Bulls or Nets or any seller, how much would you give for 2 of those guys?