1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis' article on Dream's influence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gypsy, Nov 8, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Gypsy

Gypsy Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1653091

Maybe it's not Pulitzer material, but I'm impressed that he wrote an article at all. When was the last time any houston professional player wrote an article for the Chronicle? Anyway, one of such an occasion. Classy, and I'm impressed.

2. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

But maybe my favorite Dream story has to do with clothes. It was my second year in the NBA, and I think we were in New York. What I remember is that it was really cold. Now, you know Hakeem is always dressed to perfection. You won't find a guy who dresses better than him.

So, I walk in and I have a brand-new jean outfit on, jacket and pants. I think I even was wearing a jean cap. I thought I was looking real stylish. We get to the bus, Hakeem looks me up and down and asks, "Are you going to drive the bus to the arena?" I didn't know what he was talking about, so I asked him. And Hakeem says, "Because you look like a bus driver."

Hahahahaha...Hakeem was so straight-forward...awesome...

3. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Steve and the NBA got off on the wrong foot with the whole Vancouver thing, but to me, this article is just another example that Steve really is one of the good guys in the league - someone who deserves to be marketed and, yes, deserves to be on an Olympics team (although one might say that he's too good for the team now).

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

There have been a lot of positive influences in my life, and Hakeem has definitely been one of them. From how I play to how I carry myself away from the game, I owe Hakeem a lot. And it started way before he and I became teammates in 1999.

C'mon, Steve! Don't you know that you're not supposed to begin a sentence with a preposition? Not only is he a selfish ballhog, but he has poor grammar, also! :)

5. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

I've seen Francis arriving at games before...he still dresses like a bus driver at times.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

and also...San Jac College is in Pasadena, not Houston. Geeze..;)

Seriously..pretty decent article as it goes..maybe they should give him the sports beat job..he could easily do better than the guys we have doin it now..

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Oops...did I say preposition? I mean "conjunction"....

:)

8. Howyalikemenow

Actually, you can begin a sentence with a conjunction, as long as you don't use it too often. It's quite alright to break the rules of basic writing. Nice try though.

Steve rocks!!

9. edc

edc Contributing Member

Interesting that Francis is kind of admitting to some of the things "Sir Charles" said about him:

versus

Now, there is a significant amount of POV on both sides, but Francis is saying he didn't always appreciate Barkley's *way*. It wasn't the message itself, but the manner it was delivered.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Conjunction junction,
    What's your function?

Conjunction junction,
    What's your function?

C'mon people...I'm not the only one old enough to remember ABC's Schoolhouse Rock. Thanks to it, I can deliver the entire preamble to the U.S. Constitution. Yes? Anyone?

A-Train, if poor grammar bothers you, this is NOT the place to hang out, youknowwhatI'msayin? ;)

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I always liked the one about how a bill becomes law...
    teaching government thru catchy cartoons..I actually wish they had more of them on these days.. they were funny.

12. thomp1141

thomp1141 Member

I say we stop ripping Steve for the grammatical mistakes and a general lack of writing skills and focus on the intent of the letter. It was an awesome show of respect to Hakeem by having his thoughts published in the paper. It was a very classy and honorable (ala Hakeem) thing to do. I am very impressed Steve. Well done.

13. edc

edc Contributing Member

It is a nice remembrance, but it wasn't like
    Franchise just went to the Chron and offered to write a piece!

14. verse

verse Contributing Member

he's Schoolhouse Rocky
    the kind of the block
    from your favorite schoolhouse
    Schoolhouse Rock!!!

:D :cool:

15. MONON

MONON Member

After reading this article & the one by Feigen, I may have to change my stance on whether or not Olajuwon would make a good assistant coach to tutor Yao & maybe even Cato. These 2 articles bring out some of the behind the scenes stuff that we as Rocket fans weren't privy to. This certainly is an exciting tome to be a Rockets fan!!

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, Feigen's article had me wondering:

I suppose it was probably just the way the question was worded that the answer came out like that. Or does Yao know something about coaching additions?

18. Sane

Sane Member

This article PERFECTLY illustrates what a great coach Hakeem would be. He demands so much respect, because he's a champion, an MVP, he's won almost EVERYTHING. He played with them, and he was, even then, their leader. The way he carries himself, the way he teaches, the way he puts an imperssion on you with his words.

Griffin and Yao would GREATLY benefit from Hakeem.

19. verse

verse Contributing Member

...and the way he'll punch you if you don't give him his change!:D

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I remember when people said that Barkley was a real leader and Hakeem was just a good player but not a real leader. I think the truth is that they just had different styles of leadership. I think this illustrates that Hakeem was a leader.