1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

April 30, 2014 - The Day the Rockets' Run to the WCF Began

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dookiester, Apr 28, 2014.

1. dookiester

dookiester Member

I know a lot of people here are probably on suicide watch (including myself) after watching the Rockets blow yet another 4th quarter lead last night. But somehow I woke up this morning feeling optimistic. Here's why.

The Rockets' inexperience and lack of discipline has been frustrating to watch all season, and I know we were all hoping that come playoff time they'd be ready, but they clearly weren't. Howard's the only player with meaningful postseason experience and it shows. Harden's next in line but this is just his second season with defenders centered around stopping him. This team was going to make mistakes. Well, now they've made just about every mistake you could possibly make. And I say the Rockets finally hit rock bottom with last night's loss, and are going to learn from those mistakes, and when the Rockets tip off against the Thunder of the Clippers or whoever we end up facing in the WCF, we'll look back at this series as the one where the Rockets finally grew up.

It's not even going to take a miracle to come back from 3-1 in this series - the Rockets just need to stop shooting themselves in the foot. We all know the Rockets have had control of each of these games until the customary 4th quarter mental breakdown. The Rockets know it too and they will finally come out Wednesday and put together the game they, and we, know they're capable of. The Rockets are going to come out with more fight than we've seen all year, and they're not going to let up as they steamroll their way to the WCF. The Rockets are about to grow up right in front of our eyes, and I almost feel bad for Portland....

2 people like this.
  2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

We were down 3-1 to PHO and labeled dead in the water in 1995, perhaps history will repeat it self and we pul it off. We actually are in a better position to do so with 2 out of the next possible 3 at home. That team had to pull it of with 2 of the next possible 3 on the road.

Anything can happen, that's just how this series has gone. It can easily be 3 straight for the rockets just as easily as it could have been 3-1 or a series sweep for the rockets if we just had better execution down the stretch. Now this is the key, Mchale needs to step it up on coaching, if we lose it's all on the coaching inability.

3. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Its not over till its over, but odds are against big time

I still hope, if we can win game 5, anything can happen from there

4. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I'm hoping that Mo Williams talking **** to the Rockets at the end of the game pissed them off and motivated them to come out the next game and destroy.

Otherwise it's hard for me to see this team winning the next three

I don't even feel sick about the thought of losing the series anymore for some reason. Will be sick if their aren't changes in the offseason though.

5. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

I still believe in miracle!

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Please don't compare this team to the 1995 Rockets. That team was the defending champs. That team had already shown they could come back from a deficit a year earlier against Phoenix and in the previous round against Utah. And most importantly, that team had Hakeem Olajuwon, the best player in the world not named Michael Jordan.

Now that being said, can the Rockets come back and win this series? Sure. Winning Game 5 isn't a tall order. And the Rockets have shown they can handle the Blazers in Portland, so a Game 6 victory is also not out of the question. And anything can happen in a Game 7. Here's the reason it's not likely to happen though. Most teams who find themselves down 3-1 are in that hole for a reason. Usually it's because they're facing a superior opponent and/or they're not playing well enough to win. The former is debatable, but the latter is undeniable. And I don't see why suddenly the Rockets' problems that are plaguing them in this series will conveniently vanish and allow them to win 3 straight.

7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

They had better win it for McHale, or coach won't be back next year :(

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The Rockets last game of the year will be the next one they play.

Time to be real and start looking towards next year.

9. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Thats what we thought last year vs OKC, n we managed to beat em in 2 close-out occasions. I still cant write this team off like that, n Portland is not better than us.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We had sam cassell as our back-up point guard

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The Rockets team last season exceeded expectations. End result was the same though. 1st round exit.

This team isn't winning this series. Maybe they eek out another game. Maybe.

I keep reading how we could easily be up in this series or tied...or whatever...

Guess what? We could have easily been swept as well.

This Rockets team just isn't good enough. More changes need to be made. New coach, get rid of some players. Bring new ones in. I'm not even upset though. Saw this coming since early in the season. It is what it is. I'm more excited thinking about what next year could possible hold after changes are made, not some pipe dream we'll pull this series out. That ain't happening.

12. yummyhawtsauce

I BELIEVE I CAN FLY. Go rockets, drop bombs all day long and don't look back. blow them out please.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Oh god. I'm embarrassed.

What ever happened to some team 20 years ago has nothing to do with this team. Let them build their own identity.

1 person likes this.
  14. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

rockets/grizzlies WCF

15. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I love your irrational optimism, dookiester!

However, I would like to see the rockets win more than one out of four games in the first round before even talking about the WCF. :(

16. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I still believe!

Rockets in seven.

17. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

And here I was thinking it should have started on Apr. 20th.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d6wRkzCW5qI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

I believe too! When they come back to win in 7, it'll be much sweeter.

20. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Well it's been a coin flip every single game, 3 of them went to OT, i mean we could of been up on em, I'll give em game 2, where it wasn't as much of a dog fight.

Coming into the PO last year we all knew, that there wasn't any chance of beating OKC in 7 games series, n we managed to beat em twice in close out scenarios. Plus Portland is not better than us (like OKC clearly was last year), these teams are evenly matched and it can go either way. Will we win the series? Probably not, but is there a good chance of doing it, yes there is. Like i said if we win game 5, anything can happen from there, n they might run outta luck which has been the case in most of the games.